Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Not you too?!

When Po was a baby, I knew life would not be boring...he started crawling at 6 months, walking at 9 months & climbing at 12 months. He would climb on anything & everything! And usually it was to get something that he wanted. One Sunday morning, Steve & I were getting ready for church and we hear Po (14mo) in the kitchen saying "ouch!" So we come out to find our little one holding a huge slicer knife, about a 7 inch blade! He was sitting on a kitchen chair, stabbing the knife into the cushion!! I could not believe it!! I thought that the counter was a safe place to keep knives from a 1 year old, but apparently not this one year old!!

So by the time HJ was born, Po was 19mo. We had gotten the climbing under control & we had all the kitchen chairs stacked on each other, like we were a closed restaraunt! But it was all in vain, HJ was just like Po! Crawling at 6 months, walking at 10 months & by 12 months, he was into EVERYTHING!! My strong little boy wouldn't let stacked chairs stop him, he eventually learned how to unstack them & go get that cookie. In the beginning I could hear him knock the chairs over & then drag it across the floor. But as he got older, he got smarter & started to carry the chairs across the floor, so I would not hear him dragging it!! In the past year or so, he has stopped using chairs all together & can now just scale the cupboards.

Eventually, Po added opening "child proof" bottles to his resume! And they were quite the team! They did not always get a bottle of medicine out of the cupboard....but HJ would climb up & get the desired item and Po would open it up!!! YIKES! I am pretty sure I was blessed with excellent hearing, so I can try & foil their sneaky plans as often as possible! It would make me laugh that they could open a bottle of Tylenol, but they could not open their Smarties from the store!!

When I found out I was pregnant with a little girl, I was so excited! I thought, maybe now I have been blessed with a mellow child! She might have tricked us for a few motnhs, but the truth is coming out! Because its just an all too familiar path:
Crawling at 6 months, walking at 10 months & now that she is one, nothing is SAFE! She can climb onto chairs & she can climb onto our bed. She is learning way too quickly how to climb up the boys' bunk bed ladder! The other day I let her go play at the park & she went CRAZY!! She was climbing up on everything, and wanting to go down the slide. She is growing up way too quick! We'll see what she gets into next...

3 comments:

Amy said...

That is why I don't understand how moms dare take a nap during the day! My kids would be dead if I did that! Sounds like they keep ya on your toes!!

Ashlee Garn said...

Just you wait, maybe they will be professional climbers someday :) I am beyond curious as to what troubles my little one will get into as she grows up!

Fulkerson Clan said...

i guess i won't moan and groan about my slow crawlers/walkers anymore because the opposite problem sounds just plain dangerous!!