I called Steve on Friday to ask him how his day was going. He told me that he needed to go down to Cedar City to work on a church & wanted to know if we all wanted to go with him?! Of Course! I would LOVE to get out of the house and have a little vacation! :)
So I packed up and got all ready to go. Steve came and picked us up and off we went. The boys did pretty well in the car & didn't bother their sister too much. We got settled at the hotel and went to bed. The next day, Steve left to go work on the church. So there I was car less, with 3 kiddos. We all got dressed for the day, and I put Kenz in the Snugli and HJ in the stroller and off we went to discover Cedar City. EVERYONE was staring at me and my kids,I felt kind of dumb....but I was not about to stay in the hotel room ALL DAY!?
There were a lot of statues along Main St. of the city's founding fathers & the boys got a kick out of the "men made out of metal". They always wanted me to put their baseball caps on the statues heads & thought it was so funny. We walked down a few blocks and found a grocery store. I went inside to look for something for lunch. And as we walked in there is a nice, bubbly employee...asking me if my boys can participate in the kids club? I said sure, I have ALL the time in the WORLD! So my boys sat with her and made some banana pudding splits. It was nice to have them occupied for a few minutes. They got their balloons & off we went again. There was a park across the street....how perfect!! So we walked over there and by the looks of things, not many locals used it. There were a few pavilions there, and under one of them was a bunch of biker dudes, no shirts and all tattooed. And under the other one, it looked like a few homeless people taking a nap. There was one slide and a few swings there & I prayed that we would be safe! :P
There was this guy walking his HUGE German Shepherd dog & next thing I know...I hear the man say " Sure you can pet my dog!" I look over and my 3 year old is petting this HUGE dog that is almost the same size as him. And it was one of those awkward situations....where you know that your child isn't in any real harm, but you want them to STOP what they are doing and move away!! When he was FINALLY done petting that huge dog, I said to him..."That man was a stranger. We didn't know him & you should have asked Mommy first if you could go over there and pet the dog!" It was funny watching his face & having the info connect in his brain, when he realized that WAS a stranger.
( He has this thing with strangers, I told him that it was okay to spit, hit and kick a stranger.....so he tells me all the time " I am looking for a stranger so I can SPIT ON HIM!!!" )
So any way we played at the park for a while and then went back to the grocery store and had some corn dogs from the Deli. Then we headed back to the hotel to swim. I brought the life jackets for the boys to use, so that I wouldn't have to be in the water with them. So I was holding Kenz and the boys were swimming, well HJ got out of the pool and walked around to get in where Po was & he was trying to slowly get into the water and he was holding the side of the pool and then he started SCREAMING and freaking out, SOO LOUD! Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at him, it sounded like he was in serious trouble....but really he was fine. So I rushed over (still holding the baby & everyone once again looking at me!) and pull him out of the water. He can be so dramatic sometimes, but I guess I can't blame him for being scared of the water....he did almost drown earlier this year.
Steve was done working shortly after that & we all went out for dinner. After dinner, we went down a couple blocks to the Shakespearean Festival. Which is just a little fun play thing that they have there at the University. There was a guy making balloon figures and we bought the boys each a sword. They had a lot of fun playing with them and running all over the grass. We didn't buy tickets to go see a play, but they have this performance before the play starts, called a green show. Any way the green show is free & they have students walking around in Shakespearean attire, selling tarts and treats and other souvenir items. I went to this festival a LONG time ago and I remember getting a tart, so of course I had to get one!! They were yummy! Then Steve got a call & he needed to go back and work at the church! So he took us back to the hotel! I gave the boys a bath & put them to bed.
So the plan was to wake up Sunday morning, and head back home in time to make the Temple dedication at 3. But Steve got called BACK to the church, Sunday morning. The LDS church he had been working on, had 4 chapels. And he had to go back to that church, because 3 of the chapels didn't have any sound...and they were all full of people waiting for the dedication to start. I am glad that Steve was able to fix the sound, with 4 minutes to spare before the broadcast started!! So I was sad that we weren't going to make it back home in time, but happy that 1800 people were able to watch it instead. I guess we were just taking one for the team!
We decided to make a stop at Steve's family's property.....they call it the canyon. It is about an hour away from Cedar, over by Bryce Canyon. Any way we stopped off there ( since Steve hadn't been there this summer) And Steve took the boys on a ride around the property on the wheelie. I usually have a good time up there, but I didn't really want to spend a weekend there with a little baby. So it made Steve happy to go there, it is his FAVORITE place in the world!! The kids were great on the rest of the drive & we got home around dinner time! :)
It was a fun little vacation & I am glad we were able to go with Steve and have a good time!!
**Oh yeah, we don't have any pictures.....we are having some serious camera problems right now!**
6 comments:
Wow- that actually does sound fun. I like being able to explore new places and cities too. It's funny, but I feel like even Gracie gets sick of being in the house. Today she had major temper tantrums again (won't take any naps) but as soon as I walk outside she's totally fine. But I don't want to be out in the heat all day nor let her get sunburned.
That's cool the store had something for the boys to do. It seriously makes me laugh so hard when I read about your boys and your reactions to them!
I bet a lot of the people staring at you were gazing in admiration for what a good and brave mom you are, taking care of all the kids by yourself, and the way you handled them! They were probably also enjoying watching the cute kids!
Yes, Jana did have another girl - she has pictures up at http://keithjana.blogspot.com
Thank you for your comments on my blog too!
Hehe Sass...I love spontaneous trips :). Sounds like you had fun. Can you imagine if HJ had spit on the stranger instead of just going and petting his dog? LOL. Oh the look on that guy's face would probably have been priceless! Glad you had a good time with all 3 kiddos :).
Wow, quite the adventure! I'm glad you got to get away, and that you survived it with 3 little kids! My favorite part was HJ wanting to find a stranger so he could spit on him!
I spit on strangers all the time. It makes me feel good about myself!
I think I have been to that park and have always loved it but then I realized the times I have been there it was without kids. Big difference!
I love the Shakespeare festival AND those tarts! Those are to die for!
Sounds like a fun trip! Spontaneous trips are always the best!
Post a Comment