Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I wish I could just get ANGRY!!

Some of you might already know about the fun week I have had. But here is the whole story:
I really wanted both my boys to have swimming lessons, before I have my baby. So I looked up a couple different places and ended up with South Jordan Rec. Their first lesson was March 30th. I was running late that day and was rushing out the door. After they changed into their suits, we went to the pool and waited for some instruction. Finally they showed us the teacher, who was like 15 and sent us on our way. So this instructor had 4 small boys in her class. I think that is a lot for one person to handle!? So she just has them all jump in the pool and it seemed very unorganized and the boys were going all over the place!? I just stood there by the edge of the pool and watched. So she starts out by giving each kid a sinking ring & she tells them to drop it and then retrieve it. So she gives my little HJ his and then leaves him. So I watch him as he struggles to get the ring and then I see him go under water, and I wait and wait.....he never comes back up. The teacher is with some other kid and he is completely unattended! I panic (of course!) and jump in the water, being a mother, I didn't even hesitate....shoes on, fully clothed I grabbed my little 3 year old out of the water. By that time the instructor noticed something was wrong & she takes him from me. He is coughing and choking and spitting out the water. I think that he and I were both in shock. So I got out of the pool and just stand there, soaking wet and dripping. I think I failed to mention that I was standing RIGHT next to the Lifeguard chair & there were several other lifeguards "on duty". So why is it that I, being 7 months pregnant, had to jump in the water?! Seriously!?!?
So my little guy stops crying and finishes his lesson. He did not do anything else the instructor asked him to do....and neither would I! So I gathered up my boys and we left. I was on the verge of tears & too nice to say anything. I think I was still in shock that it actually happened. So when my husband got home and asked how my day went & I start to cry again...I tell him the story. He was really hoping I was joking, he said where is the PHONE?! He talked to someone and they pretty much said sorry & they would talk to the instructors. And that was it.

There are a few things that bug me most about this situation:

1. My son was doing what he was told to do. He was not messing around, he was listening to the instructions.
2. After I got out of the water, nobody said ANYTHING to me. Not a word! Nobody came over to make sure everything was okay....it is probably a usual thing for parents to jump in fully clothed into the pool. As I was standing there, I started to feel like I did something wrong. I started to second guess myself. I was humiliated. There were a couple other moms standing next to me & they were nice. Asking what had happened, I told them and I was trying to fight back the tears. There was actually a little boy who had his older sister with him in the water & their mom asked her to watch over HJ too. She could see that the instructor was not capable!!
3. I went back a couple days later & I wanted my money back. My kids were never going to that pool again! I told the front desk lady that I wanted a full refund & she asked if there was a problem. I said well I actually had to jump in and get my son, because no one else was paying attention. She looked shocked & she called the Lead Aquatic guy ( Alex ) to come to the front desk. He comes in as I am filling out paper work. She asks him if he has heard about this? And he casually said yes....
kind of like yeah what about it??
Then he said: Well the instructor told me that she just left your son for a minute to get another kid & next thing she knew you were in water. (he said it so casual like, I wanted to SCREAM!) Okay....so she LEFT him ALONE....there is a RED flag....she turned her back on him! This is PRE-Level 1......my son is 3 years OLD! You don't turn your back on these little kids!!
Then he said well was he under for very long? ( And I am thinking....under very long? Is there like a 5 minute waiting period before you guys will help a child who is not getting oxygen?? You can't help them unless they go limp??!!!)
So I said, well he went under and I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for him to come back up and he never did and nobody was doing anything! So instead of watching my son drown, I jumped in! And I said water is NOT forgiving!! And they just stood there, I finished filling out the paper & I was trying SO hard not to start crying. And when I was done with the paper work, this Alex guy was like well....er....uhh.. sorry......that this happened. And as I was shoving the pen back into the can, I said THIS shouldn't HAVE HAPPENED! And I walked out. They were so rude and inconsiderate!

I wish that I could have just gone NUTS on that Alex guy. I wish I could just get so ANGRY!! He was acting like my son just fell down on the soccer field, and it was no big deal! That I was freaking out over a bruised knee or something??
I wasn't dressed to go swimming, I would not have jumped into that water unless I thought it was necessary. I didn't think I had time to call out to the teacher....it didn't really cross my mind. My son, my own flesh and blood was under water, and not breathing! Arrrgggg!!! I am still second guessing myself.
I am going to write some letters to the county, and hopefully save the life of the next 3 year old who gets neglected under this instructor's care. I just can't imagine what would have happened if I sat down at the bench? I mean maybe he would have been okay, and maybe NOT! Even if he had come up out of the water by himself, he would have been coughing and choking and off balance. He probably would have gone under again. Oye, I really wish this never happened! They will send me a refund check & I will be sending out letters & warning people not to swim there....unless they want to do the rescuing!

9 comments:

Amy said...

Anger is a kind word for how I would be feeling! I can't believe you had to jump in! A few choice words should have been directed toward the lifeguards and the teacher! You go girl! Way to save your baby

Doney Days said...

I would be furious! I'm glad you're not going there anymore. Seriously!!! What is wrong with people. You should Get Gephardt or something! :) I'm so glad he's ok!

Fulkerson Clan said...

it sounds like they were trying to make you feel like you had overreacted! which is so unacceptable b/c you are very good at keeping your cool and seriously, if you're willing to jump in (clothes on and 7 months prego!) that means something is wrong!!! i probably would have been too shocked to yell and scream properly as well, but hopefully when you write those letters it all comes out like it should!

Becca Jane said...

Cassie!! I couldn't believe this story when I read it! That is just WRONG. I'm SO sorry, but I'm so glad it didn't turn out any worse.... Wow, I definitely won't be taking my kids there!! Thanks for sharing your story!

mintifresh said...

I am so soory that happened! I am angry for you! i'm so glad he's okay and I think you did the right thing! Don't second guess yourself-they are the ones that are wrong! What idiots!!! You are Wonderwoman!! You are my hero!!!

The Frasers said...

I'll cuss them out for you! I'll be your angry voice while you are hormonal! Don't EVER second guess yourself, especially when it comes to your babies. YOU ARE THE MOM! YOU KNOW WHAT IS BEST!

But I love you and look up to you for keeping your cool and not totally blessing those people out!

Laurie said...

Sass! That is terrible! I would be fuming! I think any mom would have jumped in after their child with seeing no one else do anything. I can not believe how casual they act about it too. Seriously that is ridiculous!! I am glad you are both ok!

Ashlee Garn said...

Honey, I'm so sorry! Don't second guess yourself! I would be angry too!!! If it's their first swimming lessons, they should be checking their current level of experience before they just let them go. SO SORRY! If you want, they give swimming lessons at Grandma Annie's pool in South Jordan. My sister in law Kenzi teaches and runs it. They don't leave them unattended. I really am so sorry, you do NOT need to second guess yourself at all! That Alex probably just had the 15 year old girl's version of the story. You know how that went!!! She probably felt so stupid and tried to cover it up as much as she could because she knew she was guilty. No worries honey, just mother's intuition.

Tim and Ashley Tappana said...

I'm glad I did some blog hopping and found you! This sounds like the most horrible situation in the whole world! And, you have every right in the world to be angry! Tim and I will never ever go there! Horrible people! I'm glad your little boy is okay...you are a hero!